Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The Flaming Lips @ Wellmont Theatre

Holy shit. If I had only one band to choose to see in concert it would be The Flaming Lips. Best concert I've ever been to, no contest. Friendly people, which makes sense: Flaming Lips fans are some of the friendliest people I know.

Words cannot do this concert justice. The music, the atmosphere, the smoke, the GIANT balloons filled with confetti that would POP in an explosion of rectangular colored shreds of paper, the dense cloud of pot - so thick you couldn't even smell the person next to you sparking up. And oh, the visuals, the fantastical videos they had, drippy gooey egg yolks, and naked dancing ladies, and naked drum-hitting ladies, and naked ladies dancing on the beach, and laughter, and love, and everything all around. I'm still glowing from the show. Wayne Coyne is super duper sweet to boot, sang happy birthday to Gillian or whomever, their travelling t-shirt seller. Too bad Corina and I didn't have time to get t-shirts, they had some funny ones ("when I smoke pot, I don't want to kill myself", and the like). But we had to make a mad dash to the train, as the following wouldn't come till 5 in the morning (uh-ohs!). And we totally got away with not buying tickets on the return trip. Hey, it's not my fault if the ticket lady walked right by while I was on the phone...

All in all, I want to see them again, and again. Summer stage is sold out, of course, but that doesn't mean we can't go and picnic in the park while they're playing!

Setlist from the night (approximate):

The Fear
Worm Mountain
Silver Trembling Hands
The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song
The Sparrow Looks up at the Machine
In the Morning of the Magicians
Happy Birthday!
Watching the Planets
I Can Be a Frog
Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots Part 1
See the Leaves
Powerless
Pompeii Am Götterdämmerung
Taps - Tribute to PEACE
She Don't Use Jelly
Convinced of the Hex
Encore 1:
Brain Damage (Pink Floyd cover with Stardeath and the White Dwarfs)
Eclipse (Pink Floyd cover with Stardeath and the White Dwarfs)
Encore 2:
Do You Realize??


AFTERGLOWING HAPPINESS PURE JOY AND LOVE YAY!

No comments: