Sunday, July 12, 2009

Torchwood Revisited

Obviously could not contain myself. Finished 'Children of the Earth.' Glad I paused when I did, between the third and fourth episodes, feels almost like a before and after. Shit hit the fan in the fourth, and couldn't stop myself, had to know what happened etc.

***SPOILERS***

Ugh. Can't say it wasn't good. Tragic, absolutely, but still good. Gwen got a little weepy at the end there with Jack, irked me a bit considering he'd offed his own grandson. But she's preggers, can't help the tears.

I found myself detesting Jack Harkness. But then I remembered my whole Snape Debate, and how I'll defend Snape to the bitter end. It was for the greater good, however the difference here is that Dumbledore asked Snape to kill him, and Stephen certainly did not ask his "Uncle" Jack to do the same. Yet similarly it was for the greater good. The lives of three million children certainly seem to outweigh the life of one. And it was afterall the greatest sacrifice he could have done. You think he wanted to kill his only grandchild? He did what he had to. Same with Frobisher. Killing his own family seemed to be a much better option than letting them be used as happy chemical highs for the 456 (what a bunch of kidheads!). As Bridget Spears said about Frobisher while visiting Lois Habiba in her cell, "he was a good man, because when the history of this is written...I think they'll forget how very good he was. I want you to remember him like that. If ever you think of John Frobisher just remember that it wasn't his fault." This could, obviously, be applied to Jack Harkness as well. But holy shit that scene with Frobisher's family is tragic.

You know what, poor Jack. Poor bloody Jack. First his lover dies, then he kills his own blood to save the world at the expense of losing his daughter's love and trust forever, and goes off again into the unknown totally alone.

He'll probably make an appearance in Doctor Who. I'd be shocked if he didn't.

Hate the bloody PM though, what a douche. Dumbass. Dipshit. You name it, Brian Green is it. If he'd only let Torchwood do their thing from the beginning instead of getting their death warrants, half the shit wouldn't have had to go down (but then there'd have been no mini-series, and where's the fun in that). I don't know how they would do more Torchwood after this. Gwen is the only one around from the original cast. Sure, she said she'd offer Lois a job, but everyone else is bloody well dead and buried or lost in space. I know people are asking for more, but I just don't see how it can continue. Which is also tragic.

No comments: